Last summer, I went to a restaurant in Sugarhouse called Au Naturale. I absolutely adored their sweet potato fries and homemade ketchup and decided right then and there that I must learn how to recreate them at home. Then, instead of having to drive into Sugarhouse, I’d be able to have them whenever I wanted.
After trying out several different recipes online over the last few months, voila, I finally came up with my own version. They’re easy and inexpensive to make and according to this article in Self Magazine (Recipe Roundup: The Sweet Potato Perfect Skin Connection), they’re great for your health too.
Sweet Potato Fries
- Peel one sweet potato, slice into 3-inch long strips that are approximately 1/8 inch think. If they’re too thick, they’ll turn into mushy fries.
- Place strips into a mixing bowl. Drizzle approximately 1/8 cup olive oil on top. Add 1 TBS cumin; 2 TBS dried parsley flakes; 2 TBS dried oregano. Mix so that all strips are coated well.
- Place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes until crispy.
- Serve with homemade ketchup.
- Mix one eight ounce can of tomato sauce with 1/8 cup brown sugar, 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp dried onion flakes, 1 tsp dried parsley, ½ tsp chili powder, ½ tsp cinnamon.
- Cook on stovetop until thick.
- Chill and then serve. (It can be slightly warm if you’d like)